Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This We Believe

Pages 1-26

One of the ideas that stood out to me the most between pages 1 and 26 was the idea that teachers in middle schools are inevitably role models. Their behaviors send influential messages to young, developing minds. In order to remain positive, they will need to provoke leadership and the ability to work together. By learning from one another, the teacher can ensure that the students understand the material. What I got from this is that anything I do, as a teacher, can be translated into a lesson. This means I am going to have to think about my actions and methods. I will also have to be quick and cleverly avert a discussion to the material if the discussion becomes off topic.

Pages 27-33

This section of the book discussed leadership and organization characteristics. The first idea in this section was about making decisions when dealing with a middle school. It is important to have many different opinions from different people affiliated with the school. School leaders should ask students, teachers, administrators, families, board of education members, and the community for their input. Another point I found interesting was that administrators should further their education on education. They should research to find the best practices. This is an awesome idea- I wonder if any of my middle school teachers have changed their methods of teaching to up to date practices.

Pages 33-42

It is important for culture and community to take part in a middle school. Like a discussion in class, the social aspect of a young adolescent's life should not stop outside the classroom. Integrating academics and social lives will ensure success in any student. Making the classroom a community will ensure the students will respect themselves, others classmates, and their teachers. These personal and academic developments should be monitored by an adult advocate- someone who the student can trust. This could be a guidance counselor or teacher, but I feel it would be better for someone in the school could watch them.

Pages 43-63

There were two main parts to this section of the text. The first part was research supporting This We Believe. One part that stood out to me in this section was under Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment. It was cited that for a classroom to be safe and supported there must be active learning where "students and teacher hold joint responsibility for their interactions and learning" (pg. 47). I like how it reveled that the students were also responsible for the amount they learn. If they are not motivated to learn then they would not want to learn, but that is where the teacher comes in. The second part of the section discusses the characteristics of young adolescents. There are lists that the authors came up with that describe what is happening to adolescents physically, mentally, morally, etc. One characteristic I thought was interesting was that adolescents are curious- but not necessarily in a specific content area. They are curious about the world around them, and that is why it is so important for teachers to relate content to the real world. This way, young students can relate to the content themselves and gain interest.

14 comments:

  1. That third link is fantastic. I am definitely going to read through it when I have the time. Thanks for finding such a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that being a role model for students is essential to middle school students. I really liked the different things that teachers can do in order to be positive role models. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these links. Looking back, activities that involved community members and parents were most memorable. I look forward to making connections between the school and community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the links for the multiple intelligences, as that concept is one of my favorites to learn about. Just thinking that everyone has different ways of learning and processing just shows that a classroom can be as diverse as a bag of jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your Multiple Intelligence link. It gives a lot of information about using them in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the first link. The 7 ways to be a positive role model were all really helpful. Especially the third one. As a kid, it seems like adults never want to admit when they're wrong, so it would really help to do that.
    -Erich

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the last like that you had. I saw quite a few different categories that related to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your link about role models showed some good traits that adults should keep in mind when they are surrounded by children. People are watching...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Role models website is really good and puts in writing what teachers sould exhibit and the behaviors teachers should model.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you expanded on your jigsaw section. I feel like that is going to be really helpful. Also the link about staying positive is going to be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewin,
    I really like that first link that you had for your TWB blog. You're ability to find links is miraculous. I wish I could be as awesome as you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really feel that your PDF file about the "Menu" for students will really help with how to connect better with individuals within the classroom. Great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There can never be enough positive role models for students, and we can't assume that students have positive role models outside of school. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked the multiple intelligence link. There was a lot of really good info that I can use in the classroom, thanks Erin!!

    ReplyDelete